Job title: Head of HSEQ
Location: Blackwell, Derbyshire (J28, M1) with travel
Salary: Competitive and dependant on experience
Additional benefits: Discretionary Bonus, 25 Days Holiday + Bank Holidays, Company Pension (we pay full 8%), Car Allowance, Free Parking, Employee Assistance Programme, Life assurance.
Contract Type: Permanent, Full Time
Hours: Typically, 09:00 – 17:30 Monday to Friday
About the Martin Group of Companies
Established for over 46 years we have always strived to exceed our client’s expectations.
We have a trained and certificated workforce of over 1,250 who deliver works and support services from design, through to build and onward maintenance for the highways, waste recycling, rail, and engineering industries of the UK. With 15 operations centres from Kent to North Lanarkshire, and from our central head office facility adjacent to M1 jct. 28, Derbyshire, we provide national coverage.
A senior compliance and risk role with an emphasis on Health, Safety, Environment and Quality, whilst recognising the interfaces with business functions such as HR and ICT. The role will provide functional management of a key central support service and be responsible for high quality consistent monitoring and auditing of all areas of the business, assessing risks and reporting to the company Directors.
The role will be based at our Head Office in Blackwell, Alfreton, DE55 5JY, (M1 Jct. 28) but the successful candidate will be required to travel to visit active operational sites around the country.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide leadership, support and mentoring for the HSEQ functions within the Group and specifically for departmental HSEQ Managers (currently 5 in number).
- Be the acknowledged source of expert advice on HSEQ matters for all Group companies.
- Take the lead in the event of major unplanned incidents such as accidents and environmental incidents. Be the main point of contact, in these instances, with Regulatory and Enforcement Authorities such as HSE, EA, ORR and major clients such as HS2, Highways England, Network Rail.
- Assess business risks and devise / implement strategies to ensure compliance
- Manage the Groups business systems, in particular those for the Group level HSEQ management Systems including document management of the system
- Consult within the Group and maintain an up to date understanding of the needs of the organisation and its clients, supply chain and other interested parties, its internal and external issues, and the risks and opportunities arising from those issues.
- Ensure that the Groups business systems are fit for purpose. Organise internal and external auditing to ensure continual compliance with the relevant applicable standards such as ISO 9001, 14001, 45001 and with other accreditation / certification bodies, e.g. RISQS, Achilles, FORS, SSIP, Constructionline, etc.
- Manage the Group Annual Review of HSEQ and create reports to the Directors on compliance, providing interpretation and recommendations.
- Analyse audit findings, propose and implement initiatives for improvement and set and implement HSEQ targets and objectives for the Group.
- Propose strategies for controlling and reducing risk in all areas of the business.
- Keep up to date with legislation, industry standards, best practices and communicate to Group Companies as appropriate.
Education, Skills, and Experience
- NEBOSH Diploma or equivalent Level 6 or 7 in Occupational Health & Safety
- Chartered Member of IOSH (CMIOSH)
- Membership of IEMA
- Lead Auditor for ISO 9001, 14001, 45001
- At least 5 years’ experience in a senior HSEQ or compliance role.
- Experience in risk management – identifying emerging risks and managing ongoing risks
- Experience of business process review/audit including implementation of ISO 9001, ISO 14001 and ISO 45001
- Experience of good corporate social responsibility practices & principles
- Positive ‘hands on’ attitude
- Attention to detail
- Ability to lead and mentor whilst also being able to work as part of a team
- Experience of MS Office – Word and Excel and SharePoint
- Good communication skills
- Ability to multi-task and prioritise projects
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from any suitably qualified persons.