H. W. Martin Fencing and Forestry Limited
Job title: Machine Operator/Arborist
Location: Midlands / National
Salary: Competitive and dependant on experience
Additional benefits: Company Pension, Employee Assistance Programme, Life assurance.
Contract Type: Permanent
About H. W. Martin Fencing and Forestry Ltd
As specialists in fencing and vegetation management, we are used to working with leading civil engineering contractors, highway authorities and rail networks. Since 1996, we have concentrated much of our resources on the railway industry and have steadily increased our share of work to the point where we are now the principal fencing contractor on over three quarters of the railway network.
We have also been providing a comprehensive range of vegetation management services and solutions for over 20 years. In recent years, we have introduced a dedicated ecology department and are now able to provide a complete package for ecological and vegetation management that enhances our capability to provide an efficient holistic service.
The Role (a full Job Description will be provided to candidates selected for interview):
The post holder will be expected to be able to operate a wide variety of mechanised plant for both felling and processing of trees. The post holder will be familiar with using tracked 360’s with multiple attachments (above 10 tonne) such as tree shears, grapple saws and flails. They will also be familiar with driving and operating tractors with multiple attachments such as whole tree chippers, mulchers, flails and towing trailers.
Along with operating multiple items of plant the post holder will be expected to confidently fell and process trees using chainsaws and felling tools such as felling bars and winches.
- Working as a motivated part of a team to undertake all required site clearance duties and any forestry tasks that may be required, renovation works, and improvement projects as required to a high standard and in line with British standards.
- To meet the set targets for performance of the team outputs.
- Where applicable, to operate machinery in a safe manner and strictly in accordance with the Health and Safety executive and the Council’s Health and Safety at Work policies and generic/site specific risk assessments.
- Responsibility for the security, correct usage and care of all machinery, tools, and equipment.
- To suggest improvements and changes which can be made in his/her own area of work.
- Complete all written documentation as required
- Relevant industry qualifications; 201(CS30), 202(CS31), 301(CS32) as a minimum
- PTS card an advantage but not essential
- Full UK driving license is essential, and preferably with trailer towing capability up to 3,500kg
- Experience in mechanised felling and processing techniques
- Experience operating multiple items of plant and equipment in multiple sectors
- Knowledge of tree inspection, including knowledge of common tree diseases and faults and their potential impact.
- Used to working in an outdoor environment and capable of working in a physically demanding job.
- Understanding of risk assessment and implementing safe working practices.
- Good communication skills
- Positive ‘can do’ attitude
- Positive attitude towards Health and Safety, industry guidance and technical standards.
- Strong ‘Team-working’ ethic.
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from any suitably qualified persons.
Please refer to our Candidate Privacy Notice to see how we manage your data, which can be found at: