HW Martin (Traffic Management) Ltd was recognised at the Asset Community East “Better Together” Awards.
The awards held on 6 October 2022 at King’s House Conference Centre in Bedford celebrated the professionalism, integrity and performance of individuals and teams working in the Asset Community environment in the East (known locally as ACE).
11 awards were presented to individuals and companies in recognition of exceptional contributions in key areas such as health, safety and wellbeing; customer service; innovation; the environment and personal performance.
The judging panel featured representatives from National Highways and the supply chain.
The evening ended with after-dinner speakers, Eden Rainbow-Cooper and James Freeman from the Weir Archer Academy. Eden and James are two of Team GB’s brightest young Paralympians having competed at the 2022 Commonwealth Games and 2021 Tokyo Paralympic Games respectively.
HW Martin (Traffic Management) Ltd secured the award for Health, Safety and Wellbeing initiative alongside Highways Resource Solutions and Chevron Traffic Management Ltd for “reducing incursion numbers using digital technology”. This truely collaborative venture used HRS Intellicam® to reduce the number of incursions across the Operations East Region CWF schemes. Ultimately, the technology reduced incursions from 62 to just 5.
And, Collaborative Project/Team of the Year for the A11 Thertford Collaborative Pavement Delivery Scheme alongside the full project delivery team including Atkins, Mott MacDonald, Tarmac, Carnel, WJ Group, Graham Group and sister company HW Martin (Safety Fencing) Ltd.
The company also sponsored the Customer Experience of the Year Award and Commercial Director Giovanni Pennacchia was invited to present the award to Ringway Infrastructure Services for the A5 Hockliffe.
Joining him at the event to represent the business were Peter Elliot, Commercial Manager, and Amy Flint, Senior Quantity Surveyor.
Giovanni Pennacchia, Commercial Director, from HW Martin (Traffic Management) Ltd, commented:
“There were some fantastic winners commended tonight for important initiatives that ranged from the health and safety of our roadworkers, through to excellent examples of collaboration. We were delighted to be recognised alongside other individuals and companies within the Asset Community East. Credit goes to everyone who dons our uniform each night and delivers safety critical services on the country’s road network. A special thank you to the team at Peterborough whose hard work directly contributed to us being recognised with these awards. Well done to everyone!”
The other winners by category were:
- Environmental initiative – Atkins Global with Martson Gale Combined Landscape and Biodiversity Project
- Performance improvement initative – Atkins Global with a Digital Excellence Initiative
- Efficiency/Value Added Project of the Year – National Highways Operation East Service Delivery Team with National Highways Inspectors and Rolling Roadblocks
- Innovation of the Year – WJ South with A1 NB-SB Biggleswade – Sandy and Hail Bridge – Black Cat – Use of Weatherline Super Plus.
- Social Value Project of the Year – National Highways, Eurovia Infrastructure Ltd, Tarmac Trading Ltd, Hanson Contracting UK, Ground Control Ltd, Atkins Global, TAG, Carnell Support Services Ltd, Ringway Jacobs, WJ South, Tripod Crest, GAP Group, KeyLine, CP Groundworks and DF Plant with Coggeshall Scouting Group/Honywood School Bush Craft and Fire Pit Project
- Boots on the Ground Award – Gary Armstrong from WJ South
- Hero(ine) of the Year – Yvonne Crossland from National Highways
- Rising Star Award – Robbie Norman from John Graham Construction Ltd
The judges decided that a Special Commendation Award should also be made, and special congratulations go to Phil Clayton from VolkerLaser Ltd for his selfless actions and bravery in saving the life of a member of the public following a road traffic collision.
Thanks go to Operations East National Highways for access to images from the evening and wording from their official press release.